Response Post due: April 26, before 11:59 pm.
Engage in all chapter 9 materials:
Watch the first 16+ minutes of this interview with NC Film Critic Douglas Davidson (elementsofmaddness.com) and explore his approach to film criticism:
Address and FIVE of the following questions. Answering all six may gain you bonus points. In your response, you must should address a different idea than a previous class member, or add a different perspective or approach to each question. The key is making sure that you engage in the materials and share your own ideas:
- What insights did you gain from film critic Douglas Davidson on his approach to reviewing films. How can/or will that help you in reviewing?
- Based on the readings, which end of the horror spectrum do you fall (name the category)? What horror films are you drawn to, or which ones do you stay away from? Why?
- What insights did you gain from reading about the history and roots of the horror and mystery genres? Or, what knowledge was enhanced or strengthened? Why? How will that benefit you in reviewing?
- Some argue that certain suspense/mystery films cross into the horror category. After engaging in the readings (and videos), defend why that statement could be true. Provide an example of a film you may have seen that would match the criteria. Why do you feel this crosses genres?
- Offer some insights from any of the following:
A. the video segments (on horror and/or mystery) “How to Make a Horror Film”, “J.J. Abrams: The Mystery Box,”
6. After exploring the readings about using YouTube, Podcasts and Twitter and Blogging & Reviewing for Money (and for free), what is the most beneficial (and the most challenging) aspect of placing review-related thoughts on these platforms for you? Why?