(Ch. 7) Response Post

67c1fccfc32f40b44de22accdf5a64bd

Response Post Assignment for Chapter 7 (due April 5 before 11:59 pm)

• Engage in all of the materials for Chapter 7 including these sections:
  1. The Semester Project Template
  2. Visual Effects
  3. The Fiction that is Science
  4. Looks like a Disaster to Me
  5. We Are All Superheroes (why-superheroes-matter
  6. The Event that is the Blockbuster
  7. Interviews with Special Effects Artists
  8. Superhero films for consideration and Sci-Fi films for consideration

vwchq7htvpcnwtfvdhzt

Address FOUR of the following writing prompts. If you address all five, you may gain extra credit:

2. How has your understanding of science fiction changed after reading the material? If it hasn’t changed, what was reinforced?
  3. As you explored the reading  “Why Superheroes Matter” – defend or dispute those thoughts from your standpoint.
  4. After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists (Matt Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel) what did you find most fascinating or intriguing. Why? Name the interview you engaged.
  5. What was the most engaging aspect of understanding the Blockbuster or Event film? Why? How will that assist in reviewing films for you?

From the insight of the history of special effects I was able to realize that the inspiration for films like this are that question of what if, and our natural human curiosity for the unknown and unattainable worlds. I was able to gain that special effects and disaster films take advantage of today’s technology to give us a peek into what could be a possible future. It was quite amazing to see that the majority of what we see on the big screen is physically not there, it is technologically put there. Even though these special effects give the audiences a convenient way to explore different alien worlds and the unknown, I cannot keep from thinking how much of a struggle it would be for actors to believably portray scenes when most of the environment they are in is physically not there, and the majority of good acting is being able to reasonably react to your environments.
    After reading the different texts and watching the various videos the concept that sci-fi movies are extremely difficult portray was reinforced, because science fiction films are worlds and realities that contradict our current science views. To create a science-fiction film you have to seriously think outside of the box, and get creative on how you are going to create these fictional environments, and even creatures.
    I can really understand and relate some with this article on what makes superheroes so important. I have always been very shy and self-conscious almost my entire life. I was never into super heroes at a young age, but I recently got into watching the DC and Marvel movies that hit theaters. I think that this article tells me exactly why I do like them. Superheroes as the text said, are individuals that stand out not only because they have supernatural powers, but because they are different from society and instead of trying to blend in and being self-conscious about those differences they expand on them and use them to make them better people, and a help to society and the world. If the hero is self conscious in the beginning they always in the end learn their differences are what make them so great! Which is a lesson everyone in society eventually needs to learn, because diversity is what is needed in order to form a successful society.
    After engaging in the interview the team behind Alita: Battle Angel I found how they created the character Alita the most intriguing. The fact that Rose Salazar had to wear all the different equipment on her in order to create the visual of Alita as a cyborg, while filming. I think I found this the most interesting because I think it would be extremely challenging to move around and act with all these different microphones and cameras and hanging onto you. I just find everything that is needed to create the alternative worlds extremely intriguing. I also found the thought process behind creating the music for Alita interesting as well. You do not think about how much the music you hear in the background of different films will influence your outlook and how you perceive a character, which is simply amazing to think about.
    Getting to understand the history of blockbuster, and why we have the term blockbuster was a very engaging aspect of the Blockbuster or Event film. Knowing what started the term blockbuster and the meaning behind it was really interesting and made things really fall into place as to why films get the name blockbuster. Understanding the term blockbuster will assist me in reviewing films because if I have a full understanding of what is a blockbuster I will have a better understanding of telling why a film was given the term blockbuster, because I will be able to give more reasoning than it was just a good movie, I will be able to back myself up with solid reasoning as to why a movie should be given the title blockbuster.
    – Caitlyn Hamrick

Caitlyn Hamrick – When you realize that many acting talents are acting against “green screen” or non-living objects, it really dies place acting into a different perspective.

Nice takeaways from the “superhero” lesson. Thanks for these thoughts.

Heavy special effects films (like Alita) are monumental in scope and amazing to see how the cast and crew are able to pull it together.

Thanks for this feedback and the BONUS thoughts – NTMII

I learned that there are many forms that a disaster can take place. These forms include natural disasters, accidents, biological/environmental, nuclear-related crises, criminally-instigated, failed technology, extra-planetary, alien innovations/ rampaging creatures, and apocalyptic. Each form is different but most of the time they all lead to the characters trying to save their lives. Special effects have changed dramatically over the years. For example in one of the videos provided we see a clip of “Reap The Wild Wind” where you can clearly see that the squid is a puppet. In the same video, you also see a clip of “Solo: A Star Wars Story ” in the clip you see a spinning galaxy which looks real. From that, I learned that how special effects are used has changed. It has gone from puppets of computer-based technology.

The only thing that changed how I perceive Science fiction is that dystopian stories fit the category. I have realized that most science fiction has dystopian like features but I never thought too much about it. The use of advanced technology in science fiction films was reinforced to me.

I do think that superheroes matter. They can change someone’s viewpoint on life and they may change others life as well. Superheroes help people, in my eyes, you don’t have to save a city to be a hero. An example of this could be organ donation. The person giving the organ will be a hero to the recipient. Watching a superhero film may make a person think that they can save/help lives too if they do nice things. I personally try to help people and I think watching superhero films as a child had made me this way.

After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists (Matt Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel) what did you find most fascinating or intriguing, Why? Name the interview you engaged.

I listened to Trey Brown. The thing that intrigued me the most about Trey Brown is that he worked on video games. He helped create objects for characters in a specific setting and a specific time period. This is like films, he has to come up with ideas that flow with the film. Trey Brown’s work on video games is what got him working with films.

What intrigued me the most about the section on blockbusters is how much money they make is a short amount of time. The film Jaws grossed 7 million on its opening weekend. By June 25 of the year of the release, the film was in 675 theaters. This was only possible by full-scale marketing and massive theater distribution. This made it easier to view films. This helps me by understanding how films are advertised. Sometimes they sell clothing and show clips to get the hype of the people for the film. It also makes you think about if you will like the film based on your baggage and the clip.

~Dylan Mistretta

Dylan, An organ donor = a real superhero … AGREE completely.

The marketing achievement of Jaws changed the game. Thanks for your input. NTMII

3. zachbaynard says:

One thing I gained from this was how many specific categories or disaster films there are. Like we have not just natural disaster films but also accidents, nuclear, criminally, and more. I knew these were types of conflicts, just that I didn’t know they were separated from each other. I thought they would all be part of a disaster film when that’s true, just that they fall into another category along with disaster.

I think one major thing I learned was how science fiction films try to ask “what if”. Many science fiction films back in the cold war might be about aliens taking over, but they in reality represent communist. Also the what if questions examine time, space, and more. I find this interesting because the message of most science fiction films begin with “what if”. A film in the 50’s about aliens taking over the planet’s theme might not be about aliens, the aliens could represent communist and the theme is “what if communist took over”.

Not going to lie I’ve never been a fan of superheroes, but after reading it kind of made me appreciate them more. I think that superheroes can be inspiring to anyone, not just Conley. I think that with spider man having a different ego where he’s seen as shy and nerdy can be inspirational because see’s this nerd and then sees him as this superhero who saves the world.

Now for the interview, I listened to Trey Brown. One thing that really struck out was that he changed his career. He used to work on video games, designing objects or items the player might use to complete the level. Then he started working on special effects for movies. I think that this switch in career was appropriate as he was used to designing things, and now he gets to design and add things to movies that make the movie more enjoyable for viewers.

I think the most engaging aspect of a blockbuster is just how big it can be. Take Jaws as used in the article, it was an event film as people were literally lined up in the streets just to see it. Like it was so big that in July 1975, they had to increase the amount of theatres playing Jaws from 464 to 675. It also was the first movie to earn $100 million during a theatrical run. Like Jaws just shows how big an event film can really be.

Zach – Nice to see that your “baggage” can be expanded. Maybe you could explore some different types of superhero films from another viewpoint. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. – NTMII

4. What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)?
    Editors use a lot of CGI. Whether it’s for small details or big explosions, there is a lot of CGI in all films. The evolution of special effects has made the evolution of movies so much more interesting. Half of the best selling movies we have out right now would not be as successful as they are now if they did not have special effects.
    I did not know much about science fiction’s beginnings. So learning about the first sci-fi film was very interesting for me. Getting a better understanding for the different types of sci-fi films was great too. I personally enjoy travelers sci-fi the best. (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is a personal favorite)
    As you explored the reading “Why Superheroes Matter”- defend or dispute those thoughts from your standpoint.
    I agree with all of his points in the text. Superheroes are very important to the children growing up. Some children only have these figures to look up to. When the author broke down the superheroes and their traits for why they do what they do shed a new light on a topic i didn’t think much about. I never really thought about why these people are fighting against people who don’t 100 percent accept them.
    All movies changed once Jaws came out. The idea of a movie, the layout of a movie, the effects in a movie. It all made an evolution for the good. I read about a “tent-pole” movie and that was a very interesting subject. It is a smart tactic used by movie makers. When I review movies that come after a very successful movie of it’s kind I can judge it differently.

-Rayna Chichester

Rayna Chichester – The “tent-pole” concept is now commonplace. Thanks for your thoughts -NTMII

5. 1. What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)?

I gained insight into how special effects used to be much different and that we have improved on them a lot. We used to have these animations that looked so fake and almost out of place, but now CGI looks so real like it’s supposed to be there. Now it looks natural and it doesn’t look like we just added something afterward.

My understanding of science fiction has changed after reading the material because I now know that there can be different kinds of science fiction and I have always looked at it on the surface. For some reason, I used to think that science fiction had to do with space, but now I know that it can be many other things besides just that.

3. As you explored the reading “Why Superheroes Matter” – defend or dispute those thoughts from your standpoint.

One of my favorite superheroes is also Spiderman because Peter Parker is really relatable. The teen- young adult has to go through all of this stress like going through high school, keeping his powers a secret, and protecting everyone and I feel that I can relate to his stress on a smaller scale. He also just has a cool superpower and is actually special unlike other superheroes (I’m not saying they’re bad) such as Iron Man and Batman. They both have some sort of special “ability” but Batman only has money and Iron Man is almost nothing without his suit so that makes Spiderman so special to me

4. After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists (Matt Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel) what did you find most fascinating or intriguing. Why? Name the interview you engaged.

I engaged in the Matt Johnson interview and I found that he was apart of the visual effects team in Space Jam because I really loved that movie and how he was nine years old. I think that it is crazy that someone at nine years old can work on a movie as big as Space Jam.

-Dylan Swofford – The relatability factor of Peter Parker/Spiderman is something I hear quite a bit from high school/college-aged students. That makes sense.Thx for sharing -NTMII

6. sugarymango says:

I learned that there are many different types of disaster films and special effects used. When you’re watching a movie and see an act that looks so real but it’s actually fake, you don’t think of what people used to create that. Many times it’s the trick of the camera, costumes, fake substances, or very talented editing. For example, in “Psycho”, a character’s blood was substituted for chocolate syrup and it worked very well since the movie was black and white. Most movies in the 60s to 80s had special effects that if we watch now, it’ll make us laugh because of how funny it is. An example of this is in the movie “Beginning of the End” you see the giant grasshoppers running at a faster speed and their sizes compared to humans. It’s actually pretty funny but for that time, it would’ve been really great effects. (Not just that movie but others too.)

No, I love science fiction movies and watch them a lot so I know about different types (Space, aliens, dystopian, zombies, etc) I was just reminded of the evolution, the way the effects are used, and that there are different types. I do know that when I think about science fiction I mostly think of space, aliens, future, etc but that is wrong because there are so many more movies with things featured in other categories that are still science fiction movies.

Personally, I don’t care for superhero movies to a certain extent. I don’t particularly like Marvel (Baggage yes I know) mainly because I grew up on Batman. The original Batman, Batman from the 60s, the video games, all of it. So if people ask Batman of course would be my favorite superhero. But not only from him, from the others, superheroes are inspiration to people. They have a opposite side to keep their identity secret and a lot of the times the opposite side is what people can relate to (I mean it’s hard to relate to a rich man who lost his parents at a young age but that’s not the point) I think that people look towards the superheroes because they can do things that other people can’t plus they’re heroic which earns points.

I watched/listened to the Alita: Battle Angel interview. I think the most intriguing or fascinating thing about the interview was how they made her seem so real but animated at the same time. Another fascinating part is how they film the action scenes and all of the equipment on Rose Salazar and how it would animate her movements and make a skeleton on the screen and it’s edit after that it’s just really cool to me.

I feel like the most engaging part of a Blockbuster film is how hyped up it is. I mean, once someone sees it and it is so good, people are going to spread it around. I think it is the same as if you’re reading a book series and it is so good, so popular and the next book is coming out. Or for me, my favorite band is coming out with a new album NEXT WEEK! (I’m really excited) I feel like my excitement with the album is the same with event films too, people have heard this excitement of a shark movie and are so excited to see it in the movies! I think it’s interesting that my dad remembers when “Star Wars” came out and people were lined up a long way just to see the movie. I think this will help me determine what was hype and what the true view of a movie was.

~LUCY HOLLAND~

Lucy – The evolution of special fx is amazing and it ties back to an earlier chapter when we discussed the impact of technology on film. It continues to change and enhance what we see as an audience and what filmmakers can accomplish.

Thanks for such engaging thoughts and BONUS during this response. NTMII

7. What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)?

I learned that there are different types of disaster and I never really thought about there being different types, so it surprised me that there were many types of disaster. I knew about natural, biological/environmental, Alien invasions and rampaging creatures, and accident disasters, but I never thought of them as separate types of disasters. I also never knew about Criminally-instigated, Failed technology, Extra-Planetary, and Apocalyptic being types of disasters, so I thought that they would fall into the other categories of disasters.

I know a lot about science fiction from films I’ve seen and some research I’ve done, but I never really had a clear understanding of the different types of science fiction. I think that reading this article helped me get a better understanding of the different types of science fiction and how science fiction is based around “what if.”

I think that superheroes are important because they teach people that you can do anything if you set your mind to it. I’ve never been a big fan of superheroes and I honestly don’t care for them, but I have seen superhero movies and after reading this article, I think that superheroes have a major impact on someone’s life, especially a kids life, because they teach you to never give up and that you can achieve the impossible if you try hard enough. Although life is rough, superheroes teach you that there is always light at the end of the tunnel and that you should be yourself.

After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists(Matt Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel) what did you find most fascinating or intriguing. Why? Name the interview you engaged.

I watched Alita: Battle Angel. The thing that I found most fascinating was how they were able to take all of Rosa’s facial expression and movements, then make a CG character that looks so life like based off her movements and expressions. Even though CG did most of the work with making Alita look real (color, details, etc), I think that the fact the the facial expressions are pretty much the exact same is intriguing. I also think it’s interesting that the actor(s) wear a suit with dots and dot on their face which copies their movements and expressions and then makes the CG character’s movements and expressions.

– Rileah Graham

Rileah Graham – The impact of motion capture (CGI) has been a game-changer. If you’ve never explored the work of Andy Serkis -you may want to check out this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpRLTfVEhMk

_Lucy Holland_

– Rileah Graham

10. jmcmullens2 says:

1)What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)?
    The insight that I gained from the history of a special effects/ disaster films were that they all were not always digital and they had very little that they could work with to get these effects. From looking at the video about movies that did not use GCI Jason and the Argonauts you can tell that it was not actually real and they had to make some edits to it in order for it to have the mummies walking around and fighting him it was glitchy in a way and as if it has been played in reverse. What I gained was that it was not as advanced as it is today of course but they did what they had to in order for that the movie to have them attention grabbers that made the movie that more interesting. Compared to today we are more advanced and there is more that we can do with very little things that have to be actually used to create the special effects.
    2)How has your understanding of science fiction changed after reading the material? If it hasn’t changed, what was reinforced?
    My understanding of science fiction originally was giving the human ability or anything that normally would not be able to survive outside of its natural habitat for an extended time being able to survive in a foreign place usually in outer space or things coming to earth. By looking at the movies that were suggested and by me watching some already it expanded to me what could be an science fiction. I found it interesting that a quiet place was a Sci-Fiction because while watching it I viewed it more of a horror and a mystery. However when thinking about it whatever was coming after them that made them have to be quiet or they get hunted could be advanced in science and could be anything because you could not see or hear what it really was. It was some type of external amymonus thing that was doing this to the family. It can be more than just living outside of what is normal to you and being able to survive. It can be thing such as time traveling, technology or space exploration.
    3)As you explored the reading “Why Superheroes Matter” – defend or dispute those thoughts from your standpoint.
    I believe that superheros does matter because they can teach us a lesson from a young age. Superheros have two sides to them mainly. While they are fierce and willing to do anything to help and advance on the outside it can be totally different on the inside. On the inside of spiderman from the reading we learn that there is a soft side to him that no one knows about and that is who he truly is. The importance of that is that we can learn when growing up that it is okay to feel and appeal strong on the outside and keep what you want to yourself. As they come across obstacles there are times where they would want to give up however they dont they keep going and that’s another thing that is important when it comes to why superheroes are important. Overall they can teach us valuable lessons that we can carry with us throughout our lives and help us get through hard times.
    4)What was the most engaging aspect of understanding the Blockbuster or Event film? Why? How will that assist in reviewing films for you?
    The most engaging aspect of understanding the Blockbuster or Evet film to me would be the eagerness that the people had to stand in a long line just to see a movie and how excited they were just to be there. This can help me in reviewing my film because it can help me determine if it is worth a hype. Simply knowing the meaning of a Blockbuster can also help me in the sense of identifying one and being able to back that up with evidence as to why it would be considered a blockbuster
    -Jada McMullens 03.04.19

Jada -Marvelous feedback for each question. Well thought out; well defended and well executed. Nicely done. NTMII

11. What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)?

The insight that I gained from the history of special effects/disaster films digitally is that the way that directors and special effects designers have been able to use and create more than they were before several decades ago. Special effects have been able to be more graphic and more well designed than they were seventy years and even five years ago due to technology constantly changing everyday.

My understanding of science fiction has not changed after reading the material. After reading the material it has reinforced that people that are making science fiction films are having to think way outside of the box to make it challenge our thoughts on our realities such as future robots and aliens, things of that which make it a science fiction.

I believe that superheroes matter because they are able to help and show diversity and also that people should learn to love their difference. This is because without them society would be boring and bland. Superheroes may be able to change people’s viewpoints on life and other people. It may help people that are shy and very self conscious about themselves be able to not be so shy and not as self conscious about themselves. I believe that superheros matter for theses reasons because it is important to be yourself and not be so self conscious and love to be be different and accept these things about yourself.

I listened to the team behind Alita: Battle Angel. I found how Rosa Salazar had been transformed into Alita and made Alita come to life as cyborg. I also found it interesting how though Rosa had all of those microphones and cameras and things on her and attached to her costume that she had to wear that she was able to move her way around. I find this intriguing and fascinating because she had to ear cameras, microphones and still had to be able to act, fight and speak as though she was not wearing any of it. I could imagine it being a bit hard for her to do this which is why I found it the most fascinating.

What was the most engaging aspect of understanding the Blockbuster or
    Event film? Why? How will that assist in reviewing films for you?

The most engaging aspect of the understand in the Blockbuster or Event film was how the term of blockbuster was changed after the film “JAWS” came out because du to people literally lining up around the block instead of people referring to the military’s term whenever a person said blackbuster after they were referring to when people were lining up around the block to see a movie. Another thing that I felt was the most engaging aspect was how “JAWS” was the cause of another 211 theaters opening up making a total of 675 theaters being opened because JAWS was so popular and that it had held box office for six consecutive weeks after it was released. This will assist me in reviewing films for me because I will look at how much money was earned during the opening weekend for the film and what changed in theaters after it was released along with how many people went go see it. When I say go see it I mean if there was a lot of people that went to go see it, if there were lines around the block and as well if it was rated a great movie or not.

-Yunique Wilson

-Yunique Wilson – Great feedback on the superhero section; life-lessons can be learned from these characters and films if we take the time.

You may enjoy this interview I did with Rosa Salazar. She talked more about her acting in the suit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNOING1RnAU

Nice engagement in each section including BONUS materials. NTMII

12. katiecstone says:

I gained a deeper understanding of how special effects work, and how they, even in the smallest forms, are used in most films nowadays.
    When I think about disaster films, I mostly picture natural or apocalyptic disasters, not human made ones. While Nuclear-related crisis and Accidents can surely be described as disasters, I now know that they also fit into the disaster film category.

I have never been the biggest fan of science fiction, but I do appreciate its capabilities of indirectly relating to issues happening in the world we live in. It is quite fascinating how it is one of the only genre types that can confront such touchy subjects and not easily upset our society.

I agree with Nicholas Conley that superheroes are inspiring. While I do not think I ever tried to relate myself to any of them, I think that the ways in which Stan Lee created his heroes with flaws, made them very relatable. Kids usually love superheroes for how strong and powerful they are, but growing up and realizing that they, too, have experienced heartache, misfortune, sickness, and other human emotions, makes them even more influential.

I listened to Trey Brown’s interview. I think how he did work on video games at such a young age is incredibly impressive. I also loved that he made a point of saying how it’s not always an easy job, but if you love it, you will do your best and give it your all. I think this is true with whatever you’re passionate about, not just visual effects.

Realizing that studios intentionally release films at a certain time of the year, in order to gain the most attention, was interesting to me. “The Fault in Our Stars” (2014), which was released in June, can contribute part of its success to its release date. While you would think that the frequent Marvel movies would be one’s that could benefit from being released in the summertime; at this point, I suppose they are popular enough that release dates do not matter as much to the already-rich studios.

– Katherine Stone 4/4/19

Katie – Thanks for your responses. The “flaws” of superheroes was a smart “human” aspect of thought that was really smart character and narrative development and understanding. NTMII

13. evelky4 says:

I learned that there are multiple types of disaster films. Whenever I think of disaster films, I think of natural disaster films, but now I know that there are other types like nuclear, apocalyptic, and failed technology.
    My understanding of science fiction has come from being very vague to being very specific. Learning about all of the different types of science fiction like superhero and disaster really helped to boost my knowledge of science fiction.
    I do believe that superhero movies matter. Most superhero movies are “zero to hero” movies so they can inspire people in the lowest in their life to get up and they will emerge a better person. A lot of superheroes weren’t born with their powers, so they were just normal humans, and most of the time they were shunned from society for being weird.
    After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists (Matt Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel) what did you find most fascinating or intriguing? Why? Name the interview you engaged.
    I listened to the interview with Trey Brown. I found it fascinating that he started at first as an actor and then went into special effects after he did work on the video game “Team Fortress 2.” I found that fascinating because he didn’t start out working on special effects, and he wasn’t originally going to go into special effects, which inspires me to try things different than what I am doing them now.
    Something that intrigued me is the fact that a movie can do that well in the first place, especially not in that short amount of time. Jaws made $7 million on opening weekend. This is because of the mass theater distribution. Without theaters being easier to get to and it being easier to watch films, there would’ve been no way that Jaws made that much money on opening weekend. Most films now are selling merchandise other than the film itself. That is the main reason that they make so much money nowadays. This helps me review films by seeing what advertising needed to go into a film.
    -Edward Velky

14. evelky4 says:

My understanding of science fiction has come from being very vague to being very specific. Learning about all different types of science fiction like superhero and disaster really helped boosting my knowledge of science fiction.
    I do believe that superhero movies matter. Most superhero movies are “zero to hero” movies, so they can inspire people in the lowest in their life to get up and they will emerge a better person. A lot of superheroes weren’t born with their powers, so they were just normal humans, and most of the time they were shunned from society for being weird.
    I listened to the interview with Trey Brown. I found it fascinating that he started at first as an actor and then went into special effects after he did work on the video game “Team Fortress 2.” I found that fascinating because he didn’t start out working on special effects, and he wasn’t originally going to go into special effects, which inspires me to try things different than I am doing them now.
    -Edward Velky

Edward Velky – Thanks for your feedback. The impact of marketing (like launched in Jaws) is still a major component of a film’s success (especially on opening weekend). thx -NTMII

15. petertuong says:

What I learned from the lessons and history about special effects is that it is used even when you don’t think it is, it can be there to add the smallest detail and that does go a long way for movies and can help enhance both the movie and the watching experience. What I learned from the disaster films was that there are a lot more categories than I thought there would be and they seem like a lot but I’m pretty sure I have seen all those types before.

I knew that science fiction dealt with “what if” and the unknown so that was reinforced but I didn’t know that it started taking place during the scientific and industrial revolutions. This changed my way of thinking because now I know why it was “what if” and unknown, because it was at the time when the unknown was being found and “what if”’ was leading to new discoveries.

I agree with the author of that essay (Nicholas Conley), superheroes now are made more relatable and I see people relating to them more and more due to their flaws so I agree that they are looked up to by both children and adults because of what they symbolize, good qualities such as good morals and persistence no matter the negative situation.

The most engaging part of the lesson there was to see how the debut of the first blockbuster (Jaws) changed everything and how it affected people. In the post it even says people would watch it multiple times because of how it became an event that brought people together and changed many aspects about movies and how they were. This will help with my reviewing because I can use that information to see how the movies I review affected other movies, cultures, and people.

Peter Tuong

Peter – Many times when we explore the history (starting point) of any subject, we can gain a deeper appreciation. As you shared with the sci-fi roots, knowing where the “What if” began is enlightening.

NTMII

16. Cinema Scope says:

What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)? I found that even though our special effects and CGI have improved that we have always been ahead of our time with special effects. Take 2001: A Space Odyssey, the special effects in that movie is amazing especially giving the time that it was made. I also realized that in future our special effects and CGI might be so good that we won’t have to even have a set or camera anymore, all we will need is a computer and a few programs to make a movie.

How has your understanding of science fiction changed after reading the material? If it hasn’t changed, what was reinforced? My understanding of science fiction didn’t really change much after reading the material, but it will make it easier when criticizing a film to categorize it into a subgenre of science fiction, it gives you more details of the film and is more fitting.

What was the most engaging aspect of understanding the Blockbuster or Event film? Why? How will that assist in reviewing films for you? The most interesting thing about Blockbuster or Event films is how the name Blockbuster came to associate with films. After JAWS came out people were lining blocks of the street just to make sure that they would be able to see the new movie. People stopped associating Blockbuster for the military and started to associate it with films. Which is quite interesting to me, I would never think that someone would want to associate something as fun as watching a film in a theatre with something that was really sad, war.

After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists (Matt Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel) what did you find most fascinating or intriguing. Why? Name the interview you engaged. The interview that I engaged with is the team behind Alita: Battle Angel. What I found most fascinating was how realistic Alita looks and also how they made the character Alita. Her face looks human, with maybe something a little nonhuman too. She looks like she fits in the scene with the other characters even though she is made with CGI. When I watched the part of the interview where they describe how they made Alita I was very astonished, never would I know how to do that. It looked so strange when Rosa Salazar was in the suit with the headgear coming off of her. But when they compared the real life version to the CGI version of the actor I was really amazed. It is incredible what they did to create Alita and I hope we see some more things like that in the future.

-Jessica Randolph

Jessica Randolph – While the term “blockbuster” originally had a negative connotation, it has been repurposed and is now used in “positive” terms. Thanks for sharing – NTMII

17. 1. What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)?

From the readings, I have gained insights such as the fact that in the past, special effects were not common at all until Steven Spielberg implemented special effects in Jurassic Park. After then, special effects has been much more in use, contributing majorly to the top films of modern times. Also, I have gained the knowledge from this history timeline by understanding how in the past special effects were in use, how they were in use, and why they were in use.

My understanding of science fiction has changed after reading this chapter’s material on science fictions by understanding how science fiction is classified as it is. Also, this chapter’s readings on science fiction have reinforced my thoughts on the possibility that science fiction is based on the then-current vulnerabilities of humanity at the time and possibly in the future.

Although to some superheroes are the invulnerable hero that will always save the day, this is not the case with a good superhero. A good superhero is a hero that sometimes fails, sometimes succeeds but always goes through the difficulties of vulnerabilities they have, growing in the process. Yet, it would not be enjoyable for these heroes to always fail or succeed only when the challenge is easily overcome. The point of a superhero is to be a super hero, and by this, they are one that while showing vulnerability, also shows the excellent qualities in humanity and shows the success of life, the good qualities in life and shows what it means to be a hero that is super while being a human.

I have listened to Trey Brown’s interview with Noel T. Manning II. Through this interview I have found the fact that through video games did Trey Brown get involved in film. I find this intriguing because video games is something that is extremely common in American culture and through this common thing, Trey Brown was able to start his career of being an excellent special effects artist.

The most engaging aspect of understanding the Blockbuster or Event film is the fact that ultimately, the success of these films that are shown in an event and is predicted to be a large Blockbuster film, are put down to one major thing; the audience. This knowledge will assist in my reviewing of films by knowing that success is truthfully determined by audience, not criticism or the wide advertisement of these films.

-Nathanael Leclercq

-Nathanael Leclercq – I’d encourage you to revisit the the sections on “special effects.” They’ve been around since the beginning of cinema. They were different in Jaws, but there have always been fx artists.

Great feedback on the “hero” aspect and the vulnerability and “human traits” understanding.

Thanks for the feedback -NTMII

18. mzod21 says:

1.What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)?
    What I gained from the history of special effects/disaster films is that these effects etc have been around for ages and have adapted and evolved as time went on new technologies were introduced and used. One amazing example of special effects is the film avatar. The scenery even the characters being created from almost nothing just motion sensors and face trackers etc when the effects are created and added everything seems so real and detailed and in my opinion it must’ve been a very lengthy and tedious process.

2.How has your understanding of science fiction changed after reading the material? If it hasn’t changed, what was reinforced?
    My idea of Sci-Fi has been reinforced as the definition shows the futuristic adaptation of humanity itself although fiction the futuristic possibilities that almost seems that they could be an actual reality.

3.As you explored the reading “Why Superheroes Matter” – defend or dispute those thoughts from your standpoint.
    Alright the typical hero ALWAYS saves the day but in reality they fail once in a while having a weak spot or a certain vulnerability most people like to see the image of a hero that is unstoppable and that is always there to save the day but, there is a greater gain of satisfaction seeing said hero rise and strengthen to overcome that certain obstacle.

4.After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists (Matt Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel) what did you find most fascinating or intriguing. Why? Name the interview you engaged. Trey Brown’s interview with Noel T. Manning II. is the one i listened to and honestly what I found interesting is that Trey actually had video games to be the thing that actually got him into the the world of film and in many parents opinion Video games lead to nothing its just an impressive development to me especially since the Video game player stereotype is someone that’s just brain dead with their eyes and brain solely hooked to the game.

-melanie degree

Thanks for the feedback Melanie.

19. Josh Rubino says:

The insight that I got was that special effects can do many things like make a character and show a world that isn’t really there. Special effects has a ton to do with movies, it gives you insight on a world that could be or not be and special effects makes actor’s look like a certain way and the world around them. From dinosaurs to being in space, it makes you glued to the movie because you have never experienced them certain events of being in space and around dinosaurs. With visual effects actors can be things that are powerful and do things that are very dangerous without really having to do it. I watched the video that did not use CGI and to me it did not look as good because some parts were choppy and you can tell that the creatures were not real. When I watched the videos that did use CGI it looked smoother and more realistic.

I got more understanding of science fiction, I found out that there are different types of science fiction like invaders, travelers, dystopia, and more. Also I found out that science fiction came to be because of the industrial and scientific revolutions. Writers began to think beyond our human race and our world to something else. In these movies they have things that would not be accepted in the real world but since it’s in a movie and it takes place in a different time and setting then it is accepted. I learned also that Star Trek featured the first interracial kiss but since the show takes place in the future it was accepted and did not cause havoc.

I think that superheroes do matter because they give inspiration to the youth and from my personal life as a kid I loved superheroes and wanted to be just like them. In movies they show superheroes as good people who do good things that helps other people out, they save the world and save many lives doing so. Also like Spiderman, it shows a nerdy boy who’s getting bullied but changes into someone who saves people and protects them. Also superheroes gives you a sense of hope, that you can use to motivate yourself and can show you that you have your own powers even if it isn’t supernatural. Superhero movies show conflict that is very hard to get over and so that shows that if they can do it then you can yourself.

I learned what blockbuster really is, blockbusters came to be when people crowded the streets to watch jaws. You can really see the aspects of a blockbuster, a movie isn’t a blockbuster until people crowd to see it. Jaws gave you the first aspect of a blockbuster and show if the movie is really that popular or not. This change the course of movies because studios and distributors began to strategically plan when they would put out the movie and the advertising around the movies.

-Josh Rubino

Josh Rubino -Thanks for the engagement.

20. What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)?
    Some insight I gained from the readings was that special effects takes a big part in many sci-fi disaster films and in effects driven films. For example when they are making a film that is about a big natural disaster there is a big group of people who work together to be able to make everything happen like they create a tsunami or maybe they on a alien invasion film and need mutant creatures so they have to create those creatures which takes lots of work. At the end of all the complicated work they are able to create the special effects and make the film into a good film which is hard and we don’t think about that when watching the film.

My understanding of science fiction has not been changed instead reinforced with knowledge that I knew for example in the reading it mentioned that sci-fi had different type of sci-fi movies for example invaders, unchecked scientific inquiry, and dystopia. What I did learn was that I didn’t know the history of science fiction for example in the reading it mentioned about the change of history when there was the first appearance of a african american women kissing a white man in the show Star Trek.

From my standpoint I believe that superheroes don’t inspire many people. The reason is because in the movies they do make superheros that have a hard life like most of us and then they become superheroes but they are only made for the entertainment of others. The creator of the superhero might have wanted the superhero to be someone that others in real life could look up to and admire but they are not real. I enjoy superheroes because they are made for entertainment purposes and I like watching the films. Watching these films of superheros just entertain me because when watching the films I only just think about the way it entertains me not on how the superhero is like me or how it just had inspired me and that I now admire the superhero. When people talk about a someone who has inspired them many people don’t mention a superhero instead they mention someone in real life that has helped them out but there still are people who do get inspired by superheroes and I respect that.

The most engaging aspect of the Blockbuster or Event Film reading was that we the audience are the ones that decide is a film is going to be a blockbuster (a big successful film). The reason it was the most engaging aspect was because when we look at other films from the past that have been very successful for example the first film JAWS it was successful because of the audience reaction to the film which made it a big film we can see that when a film comes it how the audience reacts to it can tell the others if the film is going to be big. This will assist me of my film reviewing because when reviewing a new film I will need to give a honest review because as the reading said that it is us the audience that choose if the film is a blockbuster and if it ain’t I should mention why or if it is I should mention it.

-Marleny Martinez

-Marleny Martinez – If you watch a heave CGI (special effects) driven film, hang around ’til the credits roll and look at all the digital artists it takes to pull off the film.

Thanks -NTMII

21. blakepow says:

What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)? Some insight that I gained from the history of special effects is that movies are heavily dependent on VFX. The top 50 grossing films of all time list movies had relied heavily on VFX. 25 of them were made in the past 5 years. This gave me an insight of how much we love VFX and how much they are used.
    How has your understanding of science fiction changed after reading the material? If it hasn’t changed, what was reinforced? It was interesting to delve into the past and look into the past for science fiction. I prefer the modern science fiction ideas though. It was interesting to see what we first started off with. It was interesting to learn that science fiction back then had racial and political ties. From what I can see, I don’t see much of that in modern times. The ideas about science fiction being fiction but almost possible was reinforced. Science fiction ideas can be far from reality or close to it.
    As you explored the reading “Why Superheroes Matter” – defend or dispute those thoughts from your standpoint. I believe that superheros matter because superheros are always good role models. If a child is raised in a bad environment with no good role models then they can look to what they see as a superhero for guidance. A superhero will put that kid on the right path.
    After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists (Matt Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel) what did you find most fascinating or intriguing. Why? Name the interview you engaged. I engaged in the Alita: Battle Angel interview. The thing that I found most interesting was how much emotion that Rosa could show through the synthetic action or how much of Rosa’s emotion the synthetic action could show. This was interesting to me because I never thought that technology could show emotion through a mask, I thought that it had to be real to see the emotion. This interview gave me a different perspective on emotion when using synthetic action. It did this by going into great detail about the story and scenes and the behind the scenes.
    What was the most engaging aspect of understanding the Blockbuster or Event film? Why? How will that assist in reviewing films for you? The most engaging aspect about the understanding of blockbuster is the tent pole and how we have the power to change whether a movie is successful or not. I think it is engaging because we have the power. This will assist me in reviewing films because it will help me see how popular a film is based on the amount of people who bought tickets or copies to see it.
    – Ethan Blake Powell

Excellent feedback throughout Ethan Blake Powell. Great observation of the top boxoffice films + FX. Good BONUS engagement as well. NTMII

22. What insight did you gain from the history of special effects/disaster films (digital or otherwise)?
    I learned that special effects are being used when the audience is not even aware of it. I also learned that it can sometimes be used on the smallest details and that enhances the experience of the movie for the audience. I learned that disaster films also have multiple categories.

I learned that science fiction was influenced by the industrial revolution and the scientific revolution. Film makers take a real world fantasy and convert it into a film reality using special effects and other equipment. With the potential to go beyond what regular humans can do. What is thought as not possible in the real world can become possible in film.

I believe that superheroes are important because not only are they amazing and fun to watch but they can also teach kids and even adults important lessons. When I was growing up as a little kid I loved superheros and how they would fight crime and save the world. But as I got older I realized that they can also be used as a symbol. Thy can teach you to not give up no matter how bad the situation might seem and they usually have good qualities and morals.

The most engaging part of understanding Blockbuster was jaws and how it affected so many people when it was first released. Some people would watch it multiple times because of how good it was and it was also good for bringing people together. I can use this information to see how the movies that I do reviews on affect people and even other movies.

Jahseim Merritt

Jahseim Merritt -Thanks for the input. NTMII

23. Gluna0303 says:

I already knew what CGI was but with this it made me realize that people used this way more often that I had expected. The different things that I learned was that CGI has developed in a way throughout the years that animated movies as in movies like Avatar and Jurassic park, could run more smoothly even when trying to make such a fictional character look so realistic. Also you can really tell the difference between how computerizing was used back then and how it has evolutionized until now. Another thing is that it is very obvious that computerizing will continue to advance and will continue to make action movies look so great.

Honestly, when I would watch these science fiction movies you could kind of tell that there was also a message behind every story. Some things that was proven and reinforced was the fact that science fiction movies often tended to address political situations as in racism and sexism. Another thing that I read was that these movies also base their ideas or story lines on the conception of what if this were to happen in some future. I find that very interesting.

I do agree with the fact that superheroes can and are an inspiration. The messages behind these stories can be so powerful that it has brought confidence to younger people and maybe even older ones too. For example, most superheroes has their opposite, the normal human being that goes along with the rest of the world and then they can become someone completely different and more confident. Also there is the message of woman power when you think of the story of Wonder Woman.

4)After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists (Matt Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel) what did you find most fascinating or intriguing. Why? Name the interview you engaged.

I looked into the interview about the movie Alita battle angel. WHat I found most fascinating was how they were able to make Alita, a fictional character created majorly with CGI could appear to be so realistic. Not only that but the fact that the people working behind making this film decided to put so much story behind who she was and her mission to find her identity they made it to be as if they forced a connection between her and the audience on purpose.

You know, my dad growing up used to use Blockbuster for movies so often and he would tell me about it all the time. I think that although I knew what the concept of blockbusters was, but reading the article it help me to know what it was in a more profound way. I feel that by looking at the way that film was back then and the way that it was displayed and how things are now, although Blockbuster was a way to see how popular a film would become or was becoming, It still would help me to use such information on my critics.

Gabby Luna – Thanks for your feedback and the BONUS engagement. NTMII

April 5

was really sad, war.

After engaging in one of the interviews with special effects artists
    (Matt
    Johnson, Trey Brown or the team behind Alita: Battle Angel)

-Jessica Randolph