Chapter 2 Assignment for the Film Critic:
Read and engage in materials from chapter 2 listed below:
*After engaging in all materials and listening to the interview with Charlotte Observer film critic Lawrence Toppman, answer three of the following questions in the comments section below:
**NOTE: If you address exactly what another student does, you must expand on those thoughts.
- What did you find most interesting about film critic Larry Toppman (his advice or his perspective on viewing and review films)? Why? How do you think that will help you in your approach to film criticism? If you repeat what someone else has already written, you must expand on those thoughts.
- Based on this chapter, what did you find most interesting about the film history timeline? Why? Defend your answer in detail.
- Based on this chapter, what do you feel has been the most important historical aspect of audience/technology in filmmaking? Why? Defend your answer in detail.
- Based on this chapter, which stage of the filmmaking process do you feel is most interesting/important? Why? Defend your answer in detail.
- Based on this chapter, which film theory do you most subscribe to at this point as you consider film criticism? Do you feel that may change as you engage in more film criticism? Why or how?Defend your answer.
Bonus question for consideration and dialogue next week (this is for extra credit): Which crew position did you learn the most about (or did you enjoy learning about) from exploring the responsibilities? What was interesting about that position?
*Please post your responses at the bottom of this page before 11:59 pm on Feb. 22.