(Ch.1) Response Post due Feb. 8

Response post (story, character, baggage) due Feb. 8, 11:59 pm: After reading chapter one on story, character, writing a more concise summary,  the inciting incident, and baggage address the following thoughts and questions in the comments section below:

2. Was there anything new you learned from the information provided (on story and character), or did it serve as a refresher/reminder? Share those thoughts.
  3. Why does understanding the concepts of inciting incident help you to better understand character and story?

Next week I will post interview with film writers Emma Thompson, Aaron Sorkin, Beeban Thompson, Amie Brown & Kelly Fremon Craig.

Post your responses below in the comments section

100_movie_quotes

1. Caitlyn Hamrick says:

I think expanding my genres in films and learning what I need to look for in films will better prepare me as I begin to look at films in a more focused way. I would say that I keep my baggage zipped up tight because with my films I like what I like and I really am not open to trying new films. The few times I have been wheeling to make room in my baggage though I usually found a new type of genre that I grow a strong interest in and gives me better experience in looking for what is truly a good movie.

There were a few things throughout these articles that were new to me such as, first act turns and how proportional a movie can be in comparison to to the writing it was based on. I never realized that sometimes what I think is the main problem is actually what is called the the first act turn. I thought that the inciting incident was about 20 minutes into the movie I did not know that actually it is normally within the first five minutes. I did not think about the fact that movies can be proportioned based on the writing and how true it really is. I new that a 100 page book would be shorter than a 300 page book but I did not know that you could calculate that using the total minutes and total pages.

Understanding inciting of incident helped me to better understand character and story because if you cannot properly find the inciting incident in variation to the first act turn it can influence figuring out who is your true antagonist and which characters make the greatest influence on the story line. -Caitlyn Hamrick

Liked by 2 people

Please make sure you add your name at the end of your posts. Thanks – NTMII

Caitlyn – Glad to hear about your nw understanding of inciting incident, page-to-screen (page count), and characters + storyline influence. As we move forward, you’ll be able to apply that knowledge into a review or tow or three or four. – NTMII

2. 1. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?

I would like to know what is good to do in film and what is bad to do. I would like to see what people call the best films versus what people think the worst movie is. I also need a standard to hold a film to based off previous films from that producer. After I read the readings I had an understanding of how to judge films equally.

Yes, I now know how to properly define a character based on what they do. I was reminded of the different types of characters such as protagonist, antagonist, major, and minor. I also learned what to look for in a story.

3. Share those thoughts. Why does understanding the concepts of inciting incident help you to better understand character and story?

Everybody thinks differently and so do film writers and producers. They have different ways to” hook” the viewer in the film. Depending on the genre the “hook” method can vary. Depending on the viewer’s interest in the effect of the “hook” change some will be interested while others are not. Once you understand the “hook” and the gear you can start to understand the film better.

Please make sure you add your name at the end of your posts. Thanks – NTMII

Dylan – You’ll be able to apply those understandings of character, conflict, B-story, and more as we begin to evaluate films in a few weeks. Hold onto these lessons; they’ll serve you well. NTMII

3. sugarymango says:

-I think I feel better prepared having learned about what the inciting incidents and the difference between first act, first turn, and inciting incidents. I now know that I shouldn’t be prejudice on different movies and types of films. I think this will help me see pass the bias and I’ll be able to see more of what the “art” of the film is.

–I didn’t know what a round and flat character was. I had already known what a static and dynamic character because we had learned those in 8th grade. I think it was very interesting to learn about inciting incident. I had never heard of that before now. Most of the things I read were common sense but I did learn more things.

-I can understand what is happening to the character, when, and how it affects them. I can see them undergo change and how they develop. In the story, I can see when the inciting incident takes place and what it does to develop the story further.

Please make sure you add your name at the end of your posts. Thanks – NTMII

Lucy – As you watch more films (and read books) or watch TV -pay special attention and see if you can find the “inciting incident” while also examining flat/round characters while you look for “character arc.” NTMII

4. jmcmullens2 says:

One thing that i would like to do to better prepare me as i begin looking into films would be knowing my generes better. I know some now but if i was to expand on what i knew about them it would be easier. I would also Like to be able to use what is already in my baggage and relate that to the movie and then taking my final reaction and using that along with my baggage and create a final more dept conclusion and analysis of it.

What i took from this chapter was how to judge a movie equally. Do not judge a movie based on what you have heard about it or because you have watched previous movies with the actor in it or by the producer. I also learned what the indicating point int the movie could be. Reading these articles reminded me of the types of characters in a movie and how to define that character.

The indicating incident can help me better understand the character and story because it is the part where it grasps the watchers attention. The indicating incidents are where you begin to understand why the character is doing what he/she is doing and how it connects to the story line.

– Jada McMullens

Jada – Continue to expand your genre-study; don’t let other reviews impact you too much; share your own thoughts about why a film is or isn’t good… find a way to defend your thoughts.

Thanks -Noel T. Manning II

5. zachbaynard says:

I feel like that now I should look more on how the actors play their part and how well they act rather than focus on the plot of the movie and base the movie off of how good it was just based on that.

I felt like I learned that the plot of the movie isn’t the only factor that makes the movie good, it’s also got to do with how well the actors did.

I can notice what major changes the character goes through within the story. I can see a problem and then look at how that character tries to overcome that problem and how they change from the beginning to the end.

Please make sure you add your name at the end of your posts. Thanks – NTMII

Zach – Check out the “whole” picture when reviewing films (acting, story, set design, music, cinematography etc.); all these are important, and as we move forward in the semester, you’ll get insights on how and why each matters (individually and collectively).

Character arc is incredibly important to explore within story (no matter the medium).

Thanks -Noel T. Manning II

6. Faith Ramsey says:

1.What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?

If I knew the genre or read a summary of it first, it would help me understand more or be prepared. I wouldn’t want to go watch a film and by the title thinking it was a comedy and it be a horror. The summary would help with that as well.

It was mostly a refresher but I did learn the difference between characterization and character development. Characterization is the characters traits physical and mental. Character development is how the character changes as it goes through the conflict.

Well sometimes you would wonder what’s the point in all of this. So knowing why they continue helps understand more Because someone would not go through almost dying for no reason.

Please make sure you add your name at the end of your posts. Thanks – NTMII

Faith – I loved your thoughts on point #3. YES!!! If you know where the character was before the “inciting incident” it can help you understand the arc, the life lessons (message), and the purpose of the story even more. The inciting incident is often overlooked. Thanks -Noel T. Manning II

7. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?
    I feel like knowing the genre of the movie will better prepare me as well as knowing a little bit about the movie before I watch it. I feel like reading many reviews about the movie will also prepare because I could get a general idea of what to maybe expect from the film and this could help me focus more on the film and what’s happening.
    I learned that the inciting incident may be a problem that seems very small and unimportant, but then it becomes a huge deal throughout the story. I was reminded of how to define the characters based on their actions and other things.
    It helps me by allowing me to be more focused throughout the film in order to find the inciting incident, because people may view another problem as the inciting incident, which may affect their view of the film in a good or bad way. Once you understand what the inciting incident is and the story line, you may be able to figure out how it will end and how it will affect the characters in the story.

Please make sure you add your name at the end of your posts. Thanks – NTMII

RILEAH GRAHAM – Understanding the inciting incident has a major impact on understanding the progression of story and the character. It can also impact the “life lesson.” -Thanks Noel T. Manning II

8. blakepow says:

1. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way? I feel like the tips that Noel Manning gave us about creating a film summary will better prepare me as I look at films in a more focused way. I also think that the information provided on good and bad characters will help me analyze the story better.

2.Was there anything new you learned from the information provided (on story and character), or did it serve as a refresher/reminder? Share those thoughts. Most of the material on story and character was a refresher to me, but it was more detailed than anything I have read about story and character. The concepts of round and formula characters were kind of new though, the definitions of these things were not new just the words.

3.Why does understanding the concepts of inciting incident help you to better understand character and story? Inciting incident helps you to better understand character and story because it conveys the problem that the characters will have to face and the problem that the story is trying to solve.

-Ethan Blake Powell

Ethan Blake – Hold on to all these thoughts from this lesson (character, story arc, inciting incident); we’ll be applying them later on. Thanks Noel T. Manning II

9. petertuong says:

Some things that can prepare me to look at films in a more focused way would be to be unbiased, be more open minded, and be ready to watch different and new things. If I am biased and let my baggage affect me, I will only see either the negative or the positive but If I let my baggage go or suppress it I can focus on the film in all, both the negatives and the positives. Also if I get used to new and different films it can expose me to different ideas and perspectives to help me review or watch movies. Also knowing terms and events like inciting incident and the first act turn will help me identify and focus on main points of the film I am reviewing.

I did learn many new things in this chapter such as the inciting incident, I knew that there was always something that starts the characters into the story but I didn’t know it was usually in the first few pages and that it was called the inciting incident. I also learned that I have been mixing the first act turn and the inciting incident even though I didn’t know their names. I did know about static and dynamic characters and it was a good reminder for me so that I can assess characters later on.

Understanding inciting incident can help by knowing who the main protagonist or antagonist are, especially since the incident affects them. The inciting incident can also help the watchers begin to know what is going on and even what might happen later on.

Peter – Make sure you add your name at the end of each post. Thanks -Noel

Peter – Glad to know that you have a better understanding of first act turn and the inciting incident. Keep your eyes open for these as you read books, watch episodic TV or movies. You might find that it will come easier (and quite obvious) the more you engage. Thanks Peter -Noel T. Manning II

10. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?

Learning why it’s important to do so, a reason is a good motivator for me! I criticize a lot of things, but not really in movies, I let it all flow by me and try to enjoy the film itself and not worry about mistakes and changes in character.I liked the part that said the movie shouldn’t be telling the entire story and only focus on the key points, and that’s something we should look out for.

I knew what defined a character and a story, but this dwelled really deep on that and explained what makes a good or a bad character, and what maks stories and characters stand out, and I think that was really important to know, especially in this course!

It allows you to find the key and center characters the story will focus on, mostly an incident that affects the antagonist or protagonist and allows the story to tie up loose pieces so you don’t have to worry about it later on because you know what made the character act this way or why the story went in a certain direction.

– Jackson Mealing

Jackson Mealing – Looking for the highlights (while also seeing how little details matter) can help you as you fine tune your thoughts in relation to character arc and life lessons. Also examining that inciting incident and determining “why and how” that motivated the story and character forward is really important. as you watch TV, film or read books try to see if you can find the inciting incident (and make note of it). Noel T. Manning II

From Dylan
    Swofford

What are some things you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?

Some things that I feel will better prepare me as I being to look at films in a more focused way are reaching out to different genres, learning what makes a movie good and what makes a movie bad, and understanding the different parts of a movie clearly.

Something that I learned from the story article was that a good script was required to have a good film. From the character article, I learned that characterization and character development were to totally different things and that character arc is important
    to have a good character model. Characterizations are the traits and human qualities we ascribe to someone but character development is the way the protagonist is introduced and described to the audience through their actions and back story.

Why does understanding the concepts of inciting incident help you better understand character and story?

Understanding the concepts of inciting incident helped me better understand character and story understand what the character is doing and why they are doing it and you can watch that character develop from those actions they take. When you don’t understand
    the inciting incident it can make the story of a film seem confusing and open-ended.

Dylan Swofford – I want you to really dive in and think about the impact of the inciting incident on the films we explore. Sometimes that is a component of “story and character” that gets overlooked. The motivations (and choices) after that “incident” are keys to understanding themes and lessons. Thanks -Noel Manning

12. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?

I think that knowing how to put aside my fim baggage will help because I will get the opportunity to look into different types of films without having an opinion before hand. It’s good to watch movies outside of one’s comfort zone so they can expand where they didn’t expect to go.

It reminded me that when watching a film it is important to not put much thought into the actors previous roles. Also when thinking about the story line you want to keep in mind the entire backstory and the the current plot. You don’t want to forget the major plots in a movie.

You might think a character is a bad guy but in reality they just have different motivations causing them to act in a bad manor. When someone does not understand the incident correctly they could be interpreting the movie in a way it wasn’t meant.
    -Rayna Chichester

Rayna Chichester – It is difficult to always leave your baggage at the door, but it is always a good idea to be aware and acknowledge it when you have it.

Watching the acting talent for who they are “in this character” is incredibly important.

Yes – understanding the motivations and “how” the inciting incident plays a role in that can be key to understanding the character’s journey and even the lessons and themes.

Thanks – Noel T. Manning II

13. 1. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?
    I think that knowing all the film components really help see films in a concentrated way.
    I knew some of the things, like static and dynamic and flat and round characters, but I didn’t know about character arcs.
    If you don’t know the concepts, then you can’t develop the characters. Inciting incidents to help you understand who the characters are.

Chastlyn Hoyle – Please check your email -I’ve got feedback for you -Noel T. Manning

14. Josh Rubino says:

– I think it will better prepare me if I focus on the storyline and events going on in the movie. Also, I think analyzing the character by how they act, what their part in the movie is, and their emotions that they show throughout the movie.

-I learned that in order to have a fine film you need a great script and I learned that there are all different characterizations. I didn’t know that there were so many characterizations that can be used to characterize a specific character. It also told me that characters usually change by the end of the movie.

– Inciting incident can help viewers know what is going throughout the movie and foreshadow things that might happen. Also it helps you know more about the character and the problem they will have to go through and solve.

-Josh Rubino

Josh -One thing I want you to keep your eyes on as you explore character within story is “motivation.” What motivates the character to move forward within the narrative.

Hold on to the understanding and appreciation for character arc (change), you’ll need to explore that as we evaluate films this semester,

I want you to begin thinking about the inciting incident with each film we view. Some will be obvious, and others will require thought.

Thanks -Noel

15. mzod21 says:

1.What i feel will help me more into analyzing a film in depth is noticing all the small details that could be put together to form a bigger piece of the puzzle that’s missing from the film whether that be an object and how its used or how character develops throughout the film the character like the plot itself can change just like a plot the development of a character or a scenario it can go smoothly and it be easily detectable or it may have twists and turns plot twists or maybe you just don’t notice the small details that are given sometimes they are just right and front of your eyes and you never realize it till the end basically hidden in plain sight and sometimes its hidden but with enough thought it can be found. And in terms of baggage being biased i must learn to see past that and see the film for what it really is and take every possible conclusion every possible decision into consideration cause one decision can cause a great disaster as well as a heroic triumph.

2.This to me was a complete refresher to all the kinds of characters there are in a film from protagonists to antagonists to flat characters and formula characters. Each one can be significant and non significant its all in the script and to have a good film you must have a good script. Another thing is that there is so much more to character than we think some have stories to them that have made them the way the and some honestly are just there as extras. In some occasions the characters you least expect to even have a part of significance in the film end up being the whole mastermind behind everything.

3.As said in the chapter the inciting incident is the doorway for the character its how you get them to do something and once they get past that point the story and their decisions lead the rest of the way this helps you understand why they have ended up at a certain point in some films they present the character in their current situation as the first sequence/scene making leeway for the reason why they are in that situation the series of events that have led up to that very moment in time almost like a rewind or flashback from present to past and vice versa.
    Melanie Degree

Melanie -Wonderful thoughts about “the small details.” It is many times those small details that can trluy connect the dots. There’s a film called “Usual Suspects” that makes great use in story-telling is use of the “small things. ”

IN the second sections of Chapter one, we’ll explore even more about the character’s journey.

The “inciting incident” is all about choices … after the event.

Thanks -Noel

16. 1. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?
    Some things that I feel will prepare me is leaving some of me baggage because I have a ton of negative baggage about actors and types of movies. I can also learn more about different types of genres of films.

I learned about character development and characterization like round and flat characters. I also learned that to have a good movie you need a good story/script I was also reminded about the bad and good character and dynamic and static characters.

It helps better understand the character and the story because as mentioned in the site it is what creates the adventure the conflict and the story. So it helps us understand why the character has made some decisions and why they are like this. We also understand the concept of the story and why things are happening during the film.
    -Marleny Martinez

MARLENY MARTINEZ – Make sure you have a strong grasp on all these items from the chapter, because you’ll be applying them later this semester in films. Noel T. Manning

17. Yunique W. says:

1.Some things that will help me and better prepare me as I begin to look at films in a more focused way are looking at different genres of films that I am used to watching as well. I do not unzipping my baggage because I do not like to make changes and when I do I either end up loving it but majority of the time I end up hating it and it makes me not want to unzip my baggage at all such as romance movies. I hate romance movies because for the most part they all end the same way and the woman always gets the man or vice versa and also it sometimes is really corny/cheesy of how it always happens there is no depth into the film either.

2. The information provided on story and character served as a reminder on what round and flat characters are and how to tell the difference between the two of them. Another refresher/reminder was when it mentioned character development as well as “good” and “bad” characters. This is because last year I was taught about these during the last 3 weeks of school.

3. Understanding the concepts of inciting incident help me better understand character and story because it allows me to comprehend what event causes what actions and why the character has certain actions after the event had taken place in the film.

-Yunique Wilson
    February 7, 2019

-Yunique Wilson – As we dive deeper into Chapter one (next week), you’ll actually see that all films (not just romantic films) have formulas and exhibit the same storylines. We all will continue to unzip our baggage and discover new opportunities this semester.

Make sure you completely understand Inciting Incident and how to ID types of characters, because we’ll be applying the understanding of those concepts in a few weeks.

Thanks – Noel T. Manning II

18. 1. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?
    I think that knowing how important a base for a film is and knowing that base will help me. If I can create my own foundation based off of what I know from the movie, like the inciting incident or conflict, I can better understand what the film is trying to tell me and understand why it was made.
    If you don’t know the concepts, then you can’t develop the characters or the storyline. Inciting incidents to help you understand who the characters are and why were they created. They help shape the character and understand what type of person they are. If there isn’t any conflict, then what is the point of the movie? The inciting incident helps you understand what message the filmmaker or writer is trying to tell you. For example, 2012 was about the world ending and how we probably can’t stop it when it eventually does.

2/8/19
    Chastlyn Hoyle

Chastlyn, How will understanding “character arcs” help you as you evaluate film and story? I encourage you to re-explore “Inciting Incident” for a deeper understanding of the concept, purpose and meaning. Noel T. Manning II

19. evelky4 says:

I would like a reason for looking at films in a more focused view. I have to go with Jackson because explanations motivate me more than anything else.
    Most was a refresher, except for the inciting incident. I now understand how stories open more specifically because I now know how the conflict is presented.
    Understanding the concepts of inciting incident helps me because I now understand how the conflict is being presented.

Edward Velky – I’d like you offer more thoughts on #1. You mentioned Jackson’s comments, but expand on those.

Offer a bit more in your understanding of inciting incident – defend your thoughts with examples to help me understand that you understand. IN a future assignment, we’ll have to apply that understanding to a film or two or three. We’ll also need to apply that to our semester project.

Remember to add your name at the bottom of each post.

Thanks -Noel Manning

20. Gluna0303 says:

Learning how to keep baggage from impacting the way we look at different genres of film will help to view it in a more focused way. In many occasions, there are movies that I don’t exactly prefer to watch because it is not my liking but it would be impostand to put that aside to be able to give a more effective review.

I remember studying about dynamic and static characters. Also about the flat and round characters so this will be like a refresher for me since it had been awhile. The one thing that was kinda new to me although it’s pretty logical that for a good film, like quality award winning films, it is all in the script.

Because it helps to see that things may not be exactly how it is put out. Also about the character, it helps to give correct judgement about them.

-Gabby Luna

Gabby – We’ll explore script in even more depth for the final part of Chapter 1. We’ll also be applying the understanding of character ( dynamic and static and flat and round) in a future assignment (and your semester project). I need you to explore the section on inciting incident more and provide more thoughts. You’ll need a strong understanding how to recognize that in future assignments as well. -Noel Manning

21. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?

Personally, I feel that if I unpack my film baggage, attempt to have a better ability to summarize a story and characters, and also attempt to analyze plot more, I believe that I will be better prepared as I begin to look at films in a more focused way. If I unpack my film baggage, I will lose essentially all bias and will also have the ability to rate the film upon the actual story portrayed not preconceived notions of the film before even viewing the film. If I attempt to have a better ability to summarize, I will have a better ability to review, relay, and relate the story to those who may inspect the film criticism I may give off. If I analyze the plot of a story, I will know the underlining causes of actions of characters in the film, which may give me a better ability to have more accurate film criticism.

While there was information that was somewhat review, I believe that overall, I sharpened my understanding of topics in the readings. For example, while I understood that some may have a bias against or towards a film, I did not understand the entirety of the concept of film baggage. Also, I understood that a summary should be as concise as possible while still offering enough insight into the topic as to elicit debate on the film, I was not fully efficient at generating summaries often due to my self-conflict of attempting to generate too many points in as little as words as possible. Still, this is not to say that I have entirely mastered any one topic or subtopic in this reading but, I have taken one more step at attempting to fulfill such mastery.

Why does understanding the concepts of inciting incident to help you to better understand character and story?

Understanding the concepts of the inciting incident helps my ability to better understand character and story because the inciting incident is what allows the rest of the story to have a meaning which is allowed by the story to have a meaning in the film. Understanding this would mean that you would understand why a plot event has occurred in the story of the film.

– Nathanael Leclercq

Nathanael Leclercq – Great feedback about moving forward with less baggage weighing you do. Work towards that, Hopefully it will allow you to reach beyond your comfort zone.

As you move forward with film reviewing this semester, understanding the inciting incident may become essential when we really think about “character and story arc.”

Check your email for feedback on question 2.

Noel T. Manning II

22. jscism5 says:

I think the thing that will best help me prepare to look at films in a more focused way would be a better understanding of film baggage. I have always had my specific like and dislikes in films (mainly genres and actors). I feel I will need to get out of my comfort zone as far as the films I watch because if it is not something I’m very interested in I automatically write it off as a bad movie before I even watch it. Also watching for specific things like the inciting incident that I never really cared about paying attention to before.

It was somewhat of a combination of the two for me. There were things I did know and understand and there were also some things I had never really thought of before. I knew the basics about character and story, things such as the character and story development. However I had never looked at it as deeply as was explained in the articles.

I think the inciting incident gives the character the reason they do what they do in the story. This can be many different things and they can be both good and bad. It gives you a point in the story and you can go back and look at that point and see how they changed throughout the story and bring it all back to that one point (for the most part). The inciting incident can give shape to the entire film and can really bring a story together, it really gives everything that happens a reason.

1. jscism5 says:

-Josh Scism
      2/8/19

Josh Scism – Solid thoughts and feedback. Keep all these things in mind as we apply them to futures lessons. Noel Manning

23. travismc88 says:

I have already began preparing for Film Criticism by going through my stock of movies and re-watching a few that I did not favor and applying the methods introduced to me in these articles. Re-examining the story and characters, without the baggage, lol.

I learned a few new things, mainly about story structure. Such as the page to every minute bit. Though the articles really just put into words what I tended to see already, or feel rather, as I viewed films. I have never been one with much Baggage while watching movies. I would like to think I have a broad taste in films. The only baggage I really carry is my Bias to some Directors and actors, feeling that anything they do is Gold. That may blind me from time to time if the work I’m watching isn’t as strong of one as I would like to believe.

I’m not sure what to say on the subject of the “Inciting Incident.” Except I never knew that term. As aforementioned, the articles really just filled in the terminology for me. It also gave me a better understanding of the pacing in a story, as in why certain things happen when they do

Travis A McIlwain
    2/8/2019

Travis – Check your email when you get a chance – I’d like for you to think about “Inciting incident” as you view films throughout this semester, and even see how that impacts the character’s arc. Thanks Noel Manning

24. katiecstone says:

In order for me to review films in a more focused way, I will need to let go of a lot of my film baggage. While I am usually open to different genres, certain actors will deter me from enjoying a film. Letting go of that baggage and being able to objectively review films will help me immensely.

Although I knew of the character type description, the term “static character” was new to me. It was nice to have a refresher on the different character types before diving further into this class. Keeping all of this information in mind will greatly benefit me when I am trying to place a certain character into their respective category.

The inciting incident changes everything in a story. Before it, everything is usually comfy, but once it happens, that is when the story truly begins. Characters can change drastically from before the inciting incident happens. Usually this incident forces the characters to make a change or figure something out, which in turn develops their characters more.

Katherine Stone 2/8/19

Katherine -Great thoughts. As you dive deeper into the semester -you’ll need to revisit the character section and inciting incident to apply to future evaluations and reviews – just keep these sections handy. – Thanks Noel Manning

25. Cinema Scope says:

So things that will better prepare me is looking at how the acts are laid out so when i’m watching a film I can watch it and see when each act is being played out. Also, the details that make up a good story for a film, or bad story for a film. I could use the rules that I read to see if a character is a protagonist or antagonist. Or to see how the character will be like in the end.

Something new I learned was what a formula character is. I’ve heard of a round character and a flat character before in English class but never of a formula character. But I did get a reminder of what a flat and round character is since I haven’t talked about it in a long time.
    Understanding the concepts of inciting incident helps us better understand the characters motive for what they are doing, and what started the action in the first place.

-Jessica R.

Thanks Jessica – Another name for a formula character is “stock” or “stereotypical” character. Noel T. Manning

26. What are some things that you feel will better prepare you as you begin to look at films in a more focused way?
    I think the tips that Noel Manning gave me about film will help me look at film in a different way. I will be more focused and watch the film more carefully than I did in the past. The information that he gave me to help me better understand good and bad character roles will help me understand the film better.

Some of the things that were mentioned in the article was a refresher to me. But the part about how to get a character to properly play there part as a bad person or a good person was something new to me because it made me think about how hard the director must work to make the part seem accurate.
    Inciting incident helps you to understand the character and story better because it shows the problems that each character will have to face and the problem that the overall story is trying to resolve based on how the characters solve their problems.
    Jahseim Merritt