(Ch 4) Response Assignment: Due Mon. Sept. 24

1. Understanding Adaptations

2..Drama, Reality & Documentary

3. The Camera and Color Theory

4. Listen to the interview below with film critic Matt Brunson

5. Evaluating Remakes and Sequels

6. Song Adaptation Study

• Now you should address one of the following:

Option 1: Share what elements from the lessons or from the interview that you found the most intriguing, and or interesting, and share why. Your responses must come from Matt Brunson’s interview, The Camera, adaptations, drama, and evaluating remakes and sequels. Post those here (300-500 words).

Option 2: Take any story song and break down the lyrics by identifying characters, inciting incident, the setting (if you have one), conflicts, and resolution. Also identify what Blake Snider formula best fits the story. You should also share the lyrics and three images, three keyword tags  (and relevant links).  Post this onto your personal film blog (and post a link to it at the bottom of this page). Here is an example: The Dixie Chicks: Good Bye Earl

Option 3: Go visit “Family Video” store in Shelby, NC and address (at least) the following oquestions (in a simple report/personal narrative format) and post it onto your personal film blog with your link posted here:

1. How does this experience differ from scanning films on Netflix, RedBox, or Amazon Prime, YouTube (etc)?
  2. How do you think a physical video store like this still survives? Do you feel it still relevant? Who do you feel the customer base is for this store?
  3. What were your personal evaluations/reactions of looking for possible film choices the “old school” way?
  4. Any other relevant thoughts or comments?

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 5.00.01 PM

1. Celia García Martín says:

Adaptations were born as a response to the audience’s demands to watch long-form film stories. Thus, what started as the exception has nowadays become a rule. A vast majority of the films that we watch now are based in some preexisting material and only a few are truly original stories.
    The challenge (or advantage depending on your perspective) of reviewing an adaptation, as Matt Brunson points out, is to learn how to use your personal baggage correctly and rate the film accordingly. One interesting point highlighted by Brunson is the necessity of film critics to have a broad view of film history. Even if we are not particularly interested in old or black and white movies, we should acquire that knowledge as well in order to become better film critics. In that regard, I agree with his statement that many young critics, in whose group I include myself, do not posses a wide perspective on films since we are mainly consumers of modern cinema. Therefore, there might be many aspects that we are not considering in our film reviews.
    Secondly, the role of technology has completely changed the way we view films. Not only regarding the visual quality of movies, but also the options we can access to watch films. The question is, why are still movie theaters so popular? As a spectator, I know that I can have access to almost any movie for a much fairer price than a cinema ticket, namely, via Netflix or one of the many streaming platforms that exist nowadays. Thus, if I go to the cinema and decide to pay for it (which I must say is not particularly cheap) is just because I want to have the experience of watching a certain film in a theater. If cinema theaters are still full of viewers whenever a new movie comes out is precisely due to that reason. No matter how developed the technology is, there will always be a part of the audience who will prefer to watch a movie in the cinema.
    Likewise, depending on the circumstances in which we watch movies, our perceptions of them might change. These circumstances might include the location (home or cinema), whether we are alone or not, our age and many other factors. Brunson mentions how certain films that he loved as a teenager had become boring movies for him as an adult. In my case, I have watched comedies sometimes in the cinema that have made me laugh a lot because of the whole atmosphere surrounding the experience. Therefore, when I watched it again and tried to recreate the same feeling, it did not always work.
    Finally, we must bear all those components in mind as film viewers so as to provide the most accurate film review possible.

Celia García Martín

I love your opening statement: “Adaptations were born as a response to the audience’s demands to watch long-form film stories.” This goes back to our thoughts in a previous chapter when we talked about th e”impact of the audience.”

I still love the movie-going experience (in theaters), yet there are some films I feel I can wait until they hit red box or a streaming service. But films that are grand in visual scope or sound design, I really want the theatre experience.

Excellent point about comedy. Comedy, in many was, becomes a shared experience, and can be enhanced by interactions with others. We’ll explore this later in more detail this semester.

Thanks Celia

2. Option 1

In Understanding Adaptations, Prof Manning mentioned that a page from a book is approximately equal to 1 minute of screen time. I feel like it shouldn’t be hard to adapt a book to a script since a good portion of a book consists of environmental description. A film is visual, it doesn’t need to spend as much effort as a book to explain to the audience what they’re seeing.

A movie can be watched without sound, but a movie can’t be understood without images. I believe cinematography is very important. In terms of cameras, I personally prefer the RED camera for digital videos. I like how realistic the images look. But on the other hand, I would rather have a film shot using a film camera. I really like the nostalgic feeling I get when I see the small amount of graininess and slightly muted colors. I’m not entirely sure why, but it makes me feel more real to me! But I would definitely not want to edit film footage. I have been spoiled by the many digital editing programs like Premiere Pro and Final Cut. If I had to choose to make a film based on editing, I would choose to shoot digital. I give props to the old school film editors who had to physically cut their shots together!

I find the color theory very interesting. I am actually currently in a Color and Typography class. But what I found very interesting is that colors like green and yellow have slightly conflicting definitions. For example, green represents life and also danger and darkness. Furthermore, yellow can also represent wisdom and insecurity. I find this very interesting because it shows that color just adds emphases to what the scene is portraying.

I definitely agree with Matt Brunson, when you’re a film critic you should have a knowledge of film history. I believe that it is important to understand how far film has come. Movies from the 1940s and 1950s were shot very differently from movies now. I have a much deeper appreciation of film because of how many different types of films I have seen. I have also recently discovered that I carry a lot of baggage into a movie viewing. I think I will really try take Brunson’s advice on how to view movies objectively. I need to start watching movies with a mindset that the film is going to be average. That way I won’t be disappointed when a film like “The Big Picture” it isn’t as good as “Shutter Island”.

I personally do not like live action remakes. The only remakes that I like to watch are films that are remade from animated films. The reasons why a film is remade include making more money. After watching The HobbitI trilogy, I no longer like watching major film adaptations since it makes me feel like the film was made just to make money, not to make an audience impacted. I definitely have film baggage when it comes to adaptations and remakes. I personally don’t understand the reasons why a film is remade.

-Sam Grove

I may turn your comment “A movie can be watched without sound, but a movie can’t be understood without images” on its head next lesson. We’ll see.

I agree with you on both fronts in relation to film vs. digital. I appreciate both for varied reasons. I’ve had the opportunity to edit film (splicing), straight cut/insert editing (video), and non-linear editing (video). To me, there is just something magical about the world of editing; it is my favorite part of the film making process.

Color theory is fascinating, including the conflicting nature within each category. When you bring in the elements of hue, saturation & value (or brightness) – that’s when the emphasis can change.

Embracing movie history is important for critics (Brunson’s interview), that way when remakes come out you can say …. “Let me tell you about the original…” – Thanks Sam

Hey Drew -Can you add links and photos as well?

Thanks Drew – Glad you got to revisit your nostalgia.

Feedback and link from Luke:

Mr. Manning,

Here is the link to my chapter 4 post about my trip to the family video.

Luke – I love your Jeep vs. Toyota comparison and this quote “Sure, it is hard to beat the convenience of Netflix and Amazon, but just because it’s convenient doesn’t mean it’s better.” I completely agree.

Stores like this can bring back amazing memories …. or create new ones.

It also seems like you were surprised by your experience of revisiting , especially now that you can compare to the “online world.” – Thanks Luke

4. 1. Share what elements from the lessons or from the interview that you found the most intriguing, and or interesting, and share why. Your responses must come from Matt Brunson’s interview, The Camera, adaptations, drama, and evaluating remakes and sequels.

1. I think when understanding film adaptations, I think the most important thing to keep in mind, and Professor Manning briefly mentioned this in class and it also gets mentioned in the Adaptation section, and that’s important to know that narratives in a book, as opposed to a movie, are different and great for their own ways. When adapting a movie that’s based on original source material, it should be the director’s intention to make the best movie that you can possibly make. One thing I started to pick up when reading the section on Adaptation is that certain audiences give a movie like Hunger Games, Harry Potter or Twilight a lot of flack because ‘That was nothing like the book’ or ‘The book was better.’ Reading a book is your own interpretation of the book and the director creates his/her own vision of the book. If they need to take some liberties when adapting a novel into a movie, then it’s all fair game, as long as it works well for the story you want to tell.

When evaluating the notion of remakes or sequels, a lot of what the section Sequels/Remakes is stuff I already knew about. Usually, when a studio wants to remake something, I had always assumed it was a movie that was 20 years or older; either because the public doesn’t have much awareness about, it wasn’t received well by the public, or for any other reason. I disagree with a remake only being made only to make money because EVERY MOVIE EVER PRODUCED IN THE HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD WAS MADE TO MAKE MONEY. Also, when a studio wants to make a sequel to a movie, the reason for that, clearly, is to make money, but maybe there’s something worth to tell. There could be a great follow up to an already great movie. I will say there’s something grand and special to see a classic remade when they bring something new to the table or go up to date with special effects. A great example of that is Peter Jackson’s version of King Kong.

I really liked the second on Color because color can really convey a lot of meaning or symbolism of a movie. Some examples of color that really enhance a movie is Blade Runner 2049, Wizard of Oz, Black Swan and The Dark Knight. They all work in different retrospect’s, but the color and the shot compositions can tell a story with one image or one shot.

One thing I think is crucial when listening to the interview with Matt Brunson is that to be a film critic you should do your due diligence and watch movies from the silent era and the black and white days and so forth. It’s important to see how filmmaking has evolved in the best ways possible.

– Zane Gray

Zane – Yes, remember that when exploring adaptations, work hard to examine the original source material and the film as different parts of the same family. They are related, but different and unique on their own.

I’l disagree with you on this statement: “EVERY MOVIE EVER PRODUCED IN THE HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD WAS MADE TO MAKE MONEY” – I can give you a slew or art films (and indie) films that were never intended to make money …. even Hollywood films. We’ll explore that in a future lesson.

Remaking classics can be challenging (for many reasons), but you nailed it with King Kong – perfect example of a great remake (the 1976 version, the Peter Jackson version, and I’d even say Kong: Skull Island).

I’d really like to hear more of your thoughts on “color” and symbolism using Blade Runner & Oz.

Thanks Zane

The Boy Named sue -fun to revisit this tune Kelsey. Would you also say that there is Character vs. self?

I found myself laughing as I read the lyrics again – thanks Kelsey

Good breakdown of the song and music video Jalissa

5. Option 1

In looking at the interview with Matt Brunson, it was really interesting to recognize how he grew up in other countries, and thus did not have access to American films as much as we do in the United States. Popular American movies were a special occasion for him. Personally, as someone who has lived in the United States for my entire life, I often take for granted the readily-available access to entertainment in this country. I guess the old saying is true, “You don’t know what you got until it’s gone.”
    I also appreciated Brunson’s stance on appreciating the history of film in its entirety. He is not fond of some younger critics in present times that are narrow-minded and believe that the timeline of significant film is only what has occurred in their lifetime. In order to truly be an authority on film, one needs to be familiar with its evolution over the years. Silent and black-and-white films are of course not as prominent today, due to the incredible progression of technology through the decades. Yet, the advancements that have been made would not have been possible without the foundations laid by early film.
    As far as information from the readings that intrigued me, it was very eye-opening to see the vast array of emotions that a single color can convey. For instance, the color green has always seemed very soothing and peaceful to me. However, when you really look deeper, it has been used to represent much darker themes on some occasions. One example that comes to mind is from Harry Potter. There is a specific curse in this fantasy world, known as the “killing curse,” that produces a green blast of energy when it is cast. This is certainly on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to a lush green meadow full of fresh life.
    My respect for the cinematographer (director of photography) was also further developed. I had not realized the tremendous collection of responsibilities that this crewmember is charged with overseeing. Selecting the right type of camera to line up with the film is quite the task in itself. However, this is only the beginning. They must align everything perfectly with the director’s intent. One could argue that the director of photography is just as central a piece to a film’s success as the director himself. I look forward to more closely examining the cinematographer’s art as I evaluate films in the future.

– Thomas Manning

Exploring films made before “one’s birth” really allow for a deeper growth and understanding of the history of film … through the “viewing of film.”

It really is fascinating how the same colors represent different things … (that’s where hue, saturation and value or brightness come in).

As we continue to explore the elements of film evaluation, we’ll find that each piece of the puzzle (cinematography, sound, script, acting, score, script) have their own individual purpose and meaning, yet collectively, have tremendous impact towards collective meaning. -Thanks Thomas