50+ Years-old Interview Assignment – due 9.12.18

• Assignment *Due September 12 by 11:59 pm: Interview someone over 50-years old and write a 500-700 word report/story capturing his/her movie history.
  • You should get the person’s name, age, race, gender, town of residency. You should also list oldgoats-master1050the date of the interview. This should be posted on your movie blog (with three photos, three links & three search tags). Email blog link to  ntmanning@gardner-webb.edu when finished.
  • This can be done in a Q&A format, or it can be written as a news story or personal narrative  – your choice.

Questions for consideration: you may use any of these, none of these, or all of these. These questions just provide a starting point for you.

1. What was one of the first films you remember watching in a theatre?
  2. What do you remember about those early film experiences (food, type of theatre, friends, family, how you felt when watching a film in a theatre, etc.)?
  3. Did you watch many films growing up? If so, what films were you drawn to?
  4. Did you ever go to Drive-In Movies when you were younger? What do you remember about those?
  5. Do you remember when the event films like “Jaws” and “Star Wars” when they were in 140811909theatres? Tell me about those memories. If not, what were the first “Blockbuster” films you remember everyone wanting to see?
  6. When HBO, Showtime, VCRs or DVDs were readily available, did that change how you went to see movies? Or which ones you went to see in a theatre?
  7. Did you ever go rent movies from a video store? If so, how did you decide what to choose to watch with all those choices?
  8. How and where do you watch most of your movies now (theatres, DVD rentals, streaming, etc)?
  9. What kinds of films do you watch now? Do you feel those tastes have changed much face9686a126c31e936870d7c956b970in the past 20 years?
  10. How often do you go to theatres now to see films? How different is it now than when you first  you experienced films films in theaters (sizes of theaters, foot choices, movie choice options, etc)? What do you attribute the changes to (if there is one)?
  11. What’s the last film you watched in a movie theatre? Did you enjoy the experience?
  12. Any other comments about your movie going experience/history that you think is important, or that you’d like to share?

Here are links to some interview examples from previous classes (used by permission):garybyrd

Aged like Fine Wine -and interview with dad

Grandparents, Drive-Ins and Fancy Theatres

Standalone Cinema, Horror Flicks and VCRs

1. Celia García Martín says:

Hi!

This is the link to my interview:

Celia García Martín

I love how your dad mentioned his first film and the aspect/interpretation of “comedy.” Comedy as an artform is one part science + one part math + elements of a distinct language, and most times those interactions do not compute across the spectrum of cultures, genders & age brackets.

Your dad mentioning the Robin Hood recreations on the beach: I’d come home and do the same kinds of things after action films in particular. I’d find myself climbing trees and rolling down hills, and running through creeks after those types of films pretending to be the action stars.

That was an interesting aspect your dad mentioned in relation to “dressing up” to go to the cinema. That was a norm in the early days of Cinema here in the US. That typically only happens now for “red carpet” events or “Premieres.’

I love how your dad mentioned the “music aspect” of Jaws. In a few weeks we’ll talk about the impact of “music” on the tension-manipulation on film.

I always thought that “The Name of the Rose” was an underrated film. In many ways it felt like a Sherlock Homes adventure to me. This is one of my faves still today.

“The Purple Rose of Cairo” was a brilliant and creative approach (and salute) to cinema in many ways, and is on our viewing list.

Lemmon, Matthau & Hackman are wonderful American choices. All three had the ability to play comedy as well as drama, which can be a challenge for some filmmakers. Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau (together) in The Odd Couple was a pure classic.

2. drewpeden says:

Hey guys its Drew! Heres the link to my blog post for this assignment!

Drew, I remember seeing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too, and still remember the title song … now I’ve got it “ear-worming” through my brain.

I love how your dad mentioned feeling as if on a “different planet” when watching films. I believe that cinema, at its very best, can do that. It can transport audiences into other worlds, other landscapes and can create pure escape.

I enjoyed your link to the https://25drivein.com/. Pretty cool to explore the history of that.

Thanks for sharing Drew – Noel Manning

3. Hey everybody! Zane here. Here’s the link for the assignment where I did my interview with my dad!

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory was truly a unique and odd approach to filmmaking at the time. It combined fantasy, musical with a bit of suspense/horror (for kids). Your dad mentioning Young Frankenstein too makes me wonder if he was a Gene Wilder fan.

Offering these three films -Blade Runner, The Thing, and E.T. – as examples of the spectrum of Sci-fi is great. They each have Sci-fi elements but all provide a different take. One, I’d say was more cerebral, one more family-oriented, and one reaches into the horror category.

Great take on the superhero genre, and I’ll agree with you dad about “Superman.” It re-ignited a genre. While the 30s & 40s had their share of this genre, and the 1960s had the “Batman” TV series his a big-screen version, that Superman version from the 70s paved the way.

Originality still exists in cinema, but sometimes you just have to look around to find it. Thanks Zane

4. Hello!! This is Sam, below is the interview I did this week with a family friend!

Thanks for sharing this amazing look into film exploration (and personal history) from a different culture. I appreciate the original link to ”
      “I am Sarah Musa” as well. Cool doc.

It must have been pretty interesting for Sarah Musa to have a dad who had been a film actor.

Fascinating that one of her first films (Robin Hood) served as a life-inspiration. That, is the impact of “story” and “theme.”

Sara Musa’s exposure to a wide-variety of films, genres, cultural, international is something I think is so wonderful. So many people growing up never get a chance to see so many that span that spectrum until they are much older.

We’ll explore the impact of adaptations later, and Sarah’s comments about those “failures” hits many people, that’s for sure.

Thanks for sharing this interview about cultural explorations in cinema appreciation. It was also wonderful to hear from a filmmaker as well. – Noel Manning II

I love how her first memories of film in theaters explored “family musicals”, “historic epics” & “disaster films.”

I, too remember my mom dropping me off to see films, and sometimes I’d get there late and have to stay and watch the beginning during the next screening. During those days, they didn’t have 20-minutes of previews before a film like they do today.

I was drawn to horror films my self when I was a kid, but it was mostly the monster films. Demon-possesion films creeped me out when I was younger, they actually terrified me, It wasn’t until the “evil-dead” series that the humor crept in for me in my teen years.

You mom’s understanding of the advances and changes in the cinema experience are a perfect set-up for the next chapter s we explore the history of “cinema exhibition.”

I love this comment about watching film in a theatre “Everybody slows down to focus on the entertainment.” I echo that, and appreciate that about the film-going experience.

Thanks for sharing Thomas.

Luke – The Exorcist (especially at the time) was one of the scariest films ever made. It was also based on a best-selling book and featured a kid getting possessed. Yeah, it was pretty freaky. I didn’t see it when I was young, and if I had, I probably wouldn’t have slept for a year.

Drive-In theatres really were a big deal, especially for families during the 70s. I was a huge fan of the original Planet of the Apes franchise, and that was one of the first successful film franchises as well during that time (other than your James Bond films).

It’s interesting how our tastes when we’re younger find a way to stay rooted within our “likes.”

It sounds like your dad still appreciates “the big screen” experience. Yeah, there’s something special about that still.

Agreed that the “originality” factor in cinema has changed. There are tons more remakes, sequels, franchise films and adaptations. It is truly rare to find “original to screen” films anymore.

Thanks Luke -Noel Manning

Jalissa –

From Cantiflas to Friday the 13th … wow -that’s variety.

Linda Carter in Wonder Woman, The Bionic Woman, were both quite popular, especially for kids and young adults. It was great to have lead women (and strong and independent women) on TV during this time.

It sounds like your mom may have impacted (or influenced) your love of the horror genre.

Interesting seeing your mom talk about “lesson film”.

Your mom has continued to carry that love of films, and TV shows with strong female leads; that’s great.

Thanks Jalissa

Kelsey,

I love the title of this 

The adventures of Herbie … I still love this films. I also appreciate him calling it the “original Tranformers.”

King Kong & Star Wars were both made for a big-screen experience, and really connected with kids.

I had forgotten all about “Grizzly” – it was meant to reach the same audiences that were drawn to “Jaws.”

Yeah, I actually worked at a video store and we rented films and players, that really was crazy when you think about it.

So with Passion of the Christ being his last film in theatres, I guess it’s a good thing he’s got access to Netflix.

Thanks Kelsey